Sunday 21 November 2010

TRON Legacy Figures/Failure

No time like the present to get things started...so today, upon a fairly normal visit to my local Forbidden Planet, I was pleasantly surprised to find a new line of 3.75" (my favourite scale!) toys on the shelves - and based on a film that looks really rather cool, too.  Without thought for restraint or bank balance, I snapped up the first 3 cool ones I could find - £7.99 a piece, who needs money for Christmas shopping anyway? - and left to skip home happily.  And now, here come some thoughts.

First, let's talk about the Black Guard *dramatic music*


Yeah, my camera's flash is ludicrously bright.

Since much of this figure is cast in solid black without paint highlights, it can be hard to see a lot of the details in photos, but trust me when I say it's there.  Despite how spandex-y most of the TRON costumes look, this dude has a pleasing, angular bulk to him that suggests heavy-duty body armour of some kind.  I'm also a little bit smitten with his helmet, which combines a smooth faceplate with little optical sensors and an antenna, reminding me personally of Johann Krauss in Hellboy 2.  The only paint apps on the body are spots of bright orange, which are obviously the sort of fashion statement you can't be seen in the TRON world without, though in my mind (because I'm displaying this guy as a kind-of Cobra stealth operative) I think of them as running lights, like you get on the current model of Iron Man.

Articulation is generally good, albeit not G.I. Joe-standard.  The knees don't go back very far, and the arms twist in strange places (right up at the shoulder rather than down at the elbow - why?), but he's capable of flexing into some decent action poses nevertheless.  Accessory-wise, he's sparsely, but sensibly, equipped; two short batons (the TRON equivalent of nightsticks, I suppose) and one of those infamous throwing discs, as you can see in the above picture.  And of course, he has a display stand, also styled after the discs.  I'd have liked to see the guy's name printed on it somewhere, because the other two figures I picked up are very similar to him, but you can't have everything, I suppose.

Inflatable life-ring?  Giant polo mint?
Bass speaker for onboard stereo?

No idea what that thing could be, honestly.  They're present on the film costume designs, yes, but they're somehow more discreet, and don't look quite so much like a giant button sticking out of the wearer's spine.  Whereas here, they do...because that's what they are.  A button which does this:

ZOMG!

I have to admit, I'm a big kid when it comes to 'action features', even if I'm never going to use them - so having running lights that actually light up is a definite highlight of this figure.  And look, Hasbro - unlike that stupid glowing-chest Mark VI Iron Man figure you made, the lights stay on for a few seconds after the button is released, so I don't have to keep my big fat finger in shot when I take a photo!  Progress!

Overall rating for the Black Guard: a solid 8/10.  Could do with better articulation, but he's still nicely detailed, and has an action feature that doesn't get in the way.

Next up, we have Vinzler.  God, that's a stupid name.

 Nice...um...stick?

Seriously, I have no idea what that thing he's holding is.  Up close, it looks like two of the Black Guard's batons stuck together by an Irn-Bru bar.  Maybe the middle part's supposed to be flexible, so it's like nunchaku?  I dunno, and probably won't figure out 'til I see the film.  In any case, it's not his only weapon, since he's got two regular batons plus two discs on hand as well.


He's got legs, he knows how to use 'em...for stowing gear on.

A little touch I'm rather fond of; the two batons can clip onto his thighs, as you can see above.  Love it when figures have storage solutions for their accessories.  Sadly, there's no such place to slot his discs, hence why one of em's just sitting on the base.

You'll notice I haven't talked about the sculpting yet.  Well, that's because there isn't a whole lot to say that I haven't already said, since this guy looks much the same as the Black Guard; I'm assuming he's some sort of command officer for their unit.  There are some differences, though; the helmet is missing the extra optical sensors and lenses so it's much more smooth, and the body seems more slim somehow.  I'm not sure if I like it, he looks less spec-ops and more Black Power Ranger now.

Still, at least he shares the Black Guard's coolest feature.

More ZOMG, now with extra blurriness!

Overall rating for Vinzler:  7.5/10.  Not as cool a basic figure by comparison to his mate(s), but the extra gear and storage space just about makes up for it.

Last up (for now) is Clu, and...

Uh, you're missing something up top, mate.


Oh, for fuck's sake.

Yeah, he's broken already.  And to be clear here, this was not another victim of Craig Rage; I was just trying to turn the guy's head around, something which I did successfully manage on the other two (although it doesn't feel like a smooth motion), and the damn thing just snapped clean off.  And judging by what's left of the joint, I'm not sure if it was ever designed to turn in the first place.  Which is really a shame, because this would otherwise be the best figure of the three; the yellow highlights are more immediately appealing than the orange sported by Vinzler and the Black Guard, he still lights up (though I haven't taken a pic of it; it's the two clear vertical stripes on his torso that glow in this case), and the neon katana is a much cooler weapon than the silly batons sported by his peers.  Still, I can't ignore shoddy production standards just because the dude has a nifty sword.

Overall rating for Clu:  4/10.  If anyone can confirm the presence of Clus that don't decapitate quite so easily, I'll probably raise that rating quite a bit.

So that's TRON Legacy for now.  All things considered, I'm quite pleased with these purchases; they look and feel sufficiently TRON-like, can pose fairly well, and come with enough bits-n-bobs to justify the price, unlike some other figures in this scale I've encountered over the last year. *cough*A-Teammovie*cough* Next weekend, or maybe the one after that, I'm gonna go look for more, and I promise you this, Spin Master Toys, I will not be satisfied until I find a decent fig of whoever Olivia Wilde plays in the film.

Gotta get me some of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment